Tuesday, May 28, 2013

For Sojourner Heart.

I ask God for the mercy of tears
And instead-
I am stabbed
with the incoherence
and ambivalence
of my own neutral eyes.

But you!
I knew you-
Blooming to me
with every swelling wave,
unfolding to me against the current,
despite the wind, upstream,
with some sympathetic depth of loyalty.
Drowning in your own conscience,
I braved the sea with you.
The oceans in your body,
exhausted in incompletion,
deep of memory and failure and death.

I, floating, drenched in sun,
Bathed in the vein of light,
Continually urging you,
Pushing you 
up and through
the arid harshness
of blood’s deserts.
And imperfectly,
we wounded our messy feet
Upon the jagged edges of truth
and the merciless corners of reality.


So I am an atrocity to cognition.
I am poisoned by faithfulness.
I am blinded by reserved judgments, hopes,
And in my outpouring,
chained within my own disaster,
I find that I am
addicted
to the maintenance
of a fangled illusion.


Still, I will your healing in between each passing second,
Longing for the day 
that I am 
your cause and your effect.
Loving you in 
your twisted mind and scarred neck,
through 
your wordplay and knuckles and toolkit.
I dry my eyes from your guilt-water,
to realize
that yet again,


I am at your mercy.


No comments:

Post a Comment