Monday, February 8, 2016

To you who know

A letter,
 to you who know:

I know, 
you know,
and I know you know,
and you know I know you know.
At this point
it does not matter to me
how you know
or why,
so don't state it
because,
you don't need to.
Just walk with me
and understand
that my right now
is like this:
it is dabbed in fog,
composed of all the black
and white
heartbreak.
It is dark,
and I am tired.

But I'm trying,
please believe me.
I'm trying to reclaim my life,
fight for my identity,
capture the light,
and take back what was stolen.
But I'm fighting a battle
that in many ways,
I have already lost.
I often meet
crippling self-disappointment
that demands to be experienced,
without an invitation, 
in more ways than one
mind you-
echoing the memory
to replay and rewind.

Why is so much of healing
remembering?

I know it.
There is shame 
in the lack of movement,
the absence of screams,
the voided fight,
the prevented memory.

It's like,
an unbalanced magnet
pulling instability
across its charges,
poisoning autumns,
toxic to what was.
Inverse to irritable,
and retrograde to frustration.

What you can know is this:
I am fighting ghosts 
and slammed doors
and far worse-- 
the ones left open
on purpose.
Gently it calls 
every failure by name,
and gives it bones.
Through every unspoken thought,
past each wavering hesitance,
each immortal glance that
we tried to kill
and told ourselves was dead.
If I forget,
it's still there.
It's still alive.

I am desperate
for some mask
like consistency
or value
or community
or substance,
because sometimes
to be numb
somehow 
takes everything in you
when you've already been robbed dry

So stop,
now, please,
I beg.
Stop celebrating,
quit it with your playbook.
Be patient in my lament
for my disgrace.
Because my grief
is not
your trophy
or your soapbox
or your muse.

I AM SORRY
and don't say it isn't my fault,
because we both know
that's not the whole truth.

What is true, is that
I don't want the world
and all of its cruelty
to make me jaded
and hard,

but sometimes
I fear 
that it is already
too late.



No comments:

Post a Comment